Tom Lea Memorial Iris Cup Competition
Interpretive Floral Design
Sponsored by Judy Lea
Rules and Regulations:
The contest will be held at the TSFA Convention/CTPFA Christmas Show, Embassy Suites, Murfreesboro, TN, on Friday, August 28, 2015 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. Contestants report at 8:30 AM.
1. The contest is open to any active member of TSFA or any employee of an active TSFA member shop. The contestants must have been em-ployed full-time (30 hours per week) for six consecutive months prior to the Convention.
2. Each entry must have a full registration to the Convention.
3. Each contestant will interpret a given work of art with a design of all fresh flowers and materials. A picture of the art work will be sent to each contestant following the receipt of their application.
4. Each contestant will provide ALL materials needed for the competition. Props and accessories are allowed.
5. Each design must fit into a 48” by 48” space. There is no height limitation.
6. All design work must be done on site. Prep time will be from 9:00 – 10:00. During prep time, contestants may insert foam; assemble props; place soil, sand, or rocks within the design; cut flowers and foliage to desired lengths; wire and tape individual stems. No assembly of cascades, clusters, or composites is allowed during prep time. No insertions of any materials, including mosses and branches, are allowed before 10:00. A member of the Iris Cup Committee will inspect each work area prior to the 10:00 start time.
7. Only Iris Cup Committee members may offer assistance during prep and contest time.
8. Each contestant must furnish their own tools, wire, tape, etc.
9. Each contestant will be report to the Iris Cup Chairperson at 8:30 A.M. for briefing. You will draw, alphabetically, a sealed envelope for your number space. A master sheet with names and numbers will be retained by the Iris Cup Chairperson.
10. Judging will take place immediately following the contest. A total of 100 points per judge (3) is possible. Judging categories are: Interpretation of Artwork (25 points); Physical and Visual Balance (25 points); Mechanics and Workmanship (25 points); Overall Impression (25 points).
11. Judges will consist of art critics and/or floral designers. They will have access to the tally sheets only. After judging, tally sheets will be placed in envelopes and given to the Iris Cup Chairperson. The Iris Cup Committee will tabulate the scores.
12. The contestant with the highest number of points will be declared the winner. The contestant with the second highest points will be the first runner-up, and the contestant with the third highest points will be the second runner-up.
13. The winner will receive $300, the Iris Cup Trophy for one year, and the artwork. The first runner-up will receive $200, and the second runner-up will receive $100. The winner will also receive a trophy the following year to replace the rotating trophy.
14. All entries must be postmarked no later than Monday, August 15, 2015.
Application for 2015 Tom Lea Memorial Iris Cup Competition
City ________________________________ State _____ Zip ____________________
Phone ____________________________ Email ______________________________
Length of time in the floral industry as a designer _____.
Applicant Signature ____________________________________________
Shop Owner Signature for Verification ____________________________
Return to: Wesley Fox, P.O. Box 1062, Franklin, TN, 37065 615-599-1299 email@example.com